5/13/09

GIVING AWAY MY HEART TO YOU!

Heart of my heart. In February 2009, I created a new line of textured ceramic hearts using luscious colors. Chopping up a 25-pound block of red clay into roughly triangular shapes, I rolled it quickly to about 1/4" thick, generally making a heart shape. Then I made and bought several textured rubber and clay stamps. Stamps that look like hearts, lace, and leaves. I stamped the clay with interesting patterns, then used my trusty chopstick to incise more lines. Using a needle tool, I cut the outline of each valentine.

But how to make the texture really POP? I painted a black underglaze lightly over the top of the texture to make the pattern really stand out. The sculptures were fired in a kiln to cone 05 (almost 1900 degrees). After cooling, I painted them with underglazes and cover glazes, using vibrant color combinations. One more time in the kiln. Then I strung copper wire through the holes and attached them in a delicate fashion to form the hanging mechanism. And voila! A great addition to my new romance collection.

In honor of my blessed mother, Mary Marshall's, birthday I shall select one winner among the fans on my Fan Facebook page. SO SIGN UP AS A FAN ON THE http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kanika-Marshall/50402302085?ref=ts KANIKA MARSHALL FACEBOOK PAGE and see if you are the winner on May 31st.

More hearts can be seen (and purchased) from my webpage: http://kanika.us/1gifts_pp.htm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We welcome your comments on this Blog.